Saturday, February 12, 2011

"The Great Health Debate" Summary of Speakers 9 & 10

My kids had the day off school so we cleaned our floors with the incentive of signing valentine's for their class party on Monday. So, while they sucked on candy hearts and clipped paper hearts, I sat at the same table and listened to the last 2 speakers of this event.

The first speaker, Dr. J. E. Williams, was the most boring, perhaps because he didn't bring up new ideas. Which made him the most realistic on getting a good diet without going to extremes. Of course, you would still want to be aware of the type and quality of food you put into your diet. After raising his family vegetarian, becoming a raw-foodist and then Vegan, he eventually ate some meat again. And he felt good! After that, he came to the conclusion that adding a small amount of meat back into the diet only made for a healthier body. He noticed his kids health, although already healthy and never sick, seemed to improve with the small addition of meat.

Williams travels the world in search of natural cures and medicine. He studied with some of the most secluded groups of people (Eskimos, hunters that eat almost entirely animal and also eat the entire animal to the Q'ero who eat almost exclusively carbohydrates --- both extremely healthy and fit) in order to learn from their ways that have be passed down through generations.

About raw-foodist, he says this is a good way to drop your cholesterol level but it will eventually drop way too low. You can survive on this type of diet, but not thrive, and does not recommend it at all for women of childbearing age. He recommends eating meat to produce a healthy offspring.

He advises, rather, to be a "Consious Omnivor." To do this, an average American would need to eat less: meat, salt, sugar, processed food and bad fats. Whole fresh live foods, and a little fruit should be our main diet.

He also believes that the food sensitivities that many people are experiencing are from a variety of races, foods and chemicals all coming together --- that all this is too overwhelming for our bodies to handle.




And finally, Dr. Alan Goldhamer, uses water/juice fasting as a major source of healing --- his patients having had remarkable success through this technique at his therapuetic fasting center of 28 years. I would love to take my first childhood friend, myself, and our husbands to this place for a month and come back home with a better, maybe cured, body and a set of tools for eating a healthy diet. I wish... but I suppose it is more feasible that I figure out how to eat right on my own. I would also like to purchase his new cookbook, Bravo, when it comes out. (That would be feasible!) He is convincing!

The diet is purely vegetarian. It doesn't allow for anything processed. "Processed health food is a marketing ploy from people pretending it is good for you. These people just want to charge a lot for an inexpensive item because they can say it's healthier." This means the healthy oils, including olive oil; all salt, including Tamari Sauce (which we use and love) and sugar. He goes on to explain that processed oil, sugar and salt form a highly addictive combination, as addictive as cocaine and alcohol. The food companies know this and use it to their advantage. Rats put on this type of diet gain 49% more weight in only 60 days and birds will eat so much that they can't fly. Then he recommends his book "The Pleasure Trap" which I would love to read (maybe while I'm resting in that fasting center...).

Anyway, a typical breakfast would be a big bucket of fruits and seeds. Lunch and dinner would include a large salad with dark leafy greens (so large that someone walking into the room would be shocked that you are going to eat all of that), a platter of steamed starchy vegetables and maybe a small amount of cooked grains. I'm not too sure about this diet, although, it partly sounds real good. On his site a suggestion was made to get a crock pot and put 1/2 a cup of beans and 1/2 a cup of rice (and water) in it and let it cook on low overnight. That way you have soup all day and it stays good for 72 hours. I can do that! Oatmeal is also allowed (so rolling oats is not making those processed?) At this point, though, I'm convinced that adding a little quality meat would be fine.

As for salad, I don't like salad! I hate making salad --- all that endless washing and chopping! I make it for Eli. Eli loves vegetable salads. I eat salad purely for it's nutrients --- that's why I use spinach and Romain lettuce and refuse to use iceburg lettuce. I even pass on Ranch dressing if there's a healthier option. If I'm going to make the effort to eat all those raw vegetables, then it better be good for me. Perhaps, when I'm detoxed, I'll crave vegetables again instead of bread. (However, that still wouldn't make all the chopping and rinsing go away!)

I would like to post a review with my plan of action with it, but it's late and the weekend has started, so it will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment