Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

Easter FUN! These are the eggs that managed to stay in one piece. Aren't they beautiful?

Last year my friend said that using two dye tablets per cup dyes the eggs a lot faster and a lot brighter. I tried it. It works great! (It also dyes fingers real bright real fast too!)

Finally! These two could hardly wait for the egg coloring fun to start. I boiled these eggs while I made breakfast and they had to wait until after lunch before they could start on them.

Alyssa enjoyed dying her eggs pink.

Payton preferred dying his eggs green, and some blue.

In my home growing up the Easter Bunny always hid our baskets. (It made the hunt for eggs a little more fun.) Payton found his basket in the bathroom cabinet.

Alyssa found her basket in the dryer.
Showing Daddy what the Easter Bunny brought.
It's a good thing the Easter Bunny knew Payton needed shin-guards in order to play soccer because "Mom just didn't know where to find them."

Last year I got an Easter cookie recipe that goes along with scriptures about the atonement. I thought I would try it with my family this year. As Eli read the scriptures from the Bible we added the corresponding ingredients and mixed it up. Then we put the cookies, that symbolize Jesus' tomb, on a cookie sheet. We placed them in the oven and "sealed" the door with tape, turned it off, then sent the twins to bed.

The next morning (after the egg hunt and before breakfast) we "unsealed" the oven and broke open the cookies, which were now empty inside. We talk about how the tomb was found empty on the third day. I really liked how it brought the real meaning of Easter into our home. Even Eli liked it and we thought that we might make this part of our Easter tradition.

Alyssa in her new Easter dress. (Hopefully, I can get one of the whole dress before she grows out of it!)

Cheese! Payton still fits in his Easter clothes from last year. He got a spider shirt and shin guards instead.


RAINBOW JELL-O
It's really called "12-Layer Jell-O" but a more fitting name might be "12-Hour Jell-O" (although it takes 1/2 that time to actually make it, it seems like 12 hours). My mom always brought this to the Easter potluck at my cousins', along with a batch of homemade crescent rolls... I thought my kids would like the Jell-O, so I gave it a try. Then our friends invited us to a Easter potluck so I said I would bring it --- and a carrot cake I had been wanting to make. The cake ended up all over the oven but the Jell-O was a hit. Maybe I'll make it again... someday...

Thanks for the fun afternoon Sally!

No comments:

Post a Comment