Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Little Pink Ballerina cont.

Ballet class is over.

Why ballet?
Because she kept falling and bumping her head. One day as she sat enjoying lunch at a picnic table she just slipped right off the bench and bumped her head. The same type of story happened again and again at home... On another occasion, as her cousin combed her hair, she slipped right off the stool. She was so embarrassed, yet, she tried so hard not to cry. Still, tears pored down her red cheeks. I could empathize -- I wanted to cry for her. My poor baby. How could I teach her balance when I lacked it myself. Then I found a ballet class -- $12 for 15 classes, 1/2 hour each once a week. She might like ballet... she has little ballerina dolls that she just adores... and best of all, she would get to wear ALL PINK! Most of the clothes were already in her hand-me-down bag anyway! ;) So, I signed her up and we bought her a pair of ballet slippers. She was sooooooo excited!







But, she didn't want to stand on the black line with the other little ballerinas. Instead, she found a corner and did her own style of bouncing ballet!

The next week she didn't even want to do that. She watched. And at home she danced. The following week she wanted to hide behind me. And at home she danced. She showed Daddy everything they learned. She could hardly wait for her next class... she just wouldn't participate.

Was she just too young? We could continue to just watch -- but that frustrated me, so that wasn't going to work. Should we drop it? I wondered what would happen if I left the room... would that be a "bad mom" thing to do? I was sick of taking her to class only for her to hide. What really bothered me most was that I could tell she wanted to be part of it. She watched those "real" ballerina's in utter awe. What's a mom to do? I walked out. I tried to stay away -- but after a minute or two, I peeked -- one of the teachers was talking to her and spending a bit of one-on-one time with her. Alyssa was following her instructions! Yeah! So, I walked in -- and she ran to me. Grrrrrrr! After awhile, I walked out again and gave them more time together. It worked!

Eventually, she started standing on the black line all-by-herself.

She loved jumping like a frog. She also liked the bear walk, the princess walk, and bouncing like a bunny.

By the end of 15 weeks she was completely comfortable and happy in the class.

Way to go baby girl! You came a long way! We might try this again...

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Alyssa!! And Mommy!!

    When Mckenzie started dance, Moms could watch the first day, then no more moms---they are too much of a distraction. Sometimes I'll 'pop in' a few minutes before practice is over just to get a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a beautiful little girl! I am so proud of her and YOU for sticking with it! I am wondering however, how you got 15 classes for $12...do you have anymore information on that? ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally was very similar. This summer she wants to do it again. But I said not this year. We can't afford it. Sad! I also said the same thing about swimming lessons and soccer. I am so mean...

    ReplyDelete