Friday, January 21, 2011

Love Pats

Once, my mom gave me a little swat-on-the-bum for no apparent reason. It didn't hurt, but I cried. I didn't want her upset with me. That's when my mom taught me all about 'love pats.'

From time to time I like to remind my children how much they are loved and I decided to tell them that at breakfast this morning. I said something to the effect of, "Daddy and I feel pretty special that you are part of our family and we hope you feel special being part of it. We sure love you and Heavenly Father loves you and I wanted to make sure that you know that." They said they did. Yeah! Huge pats on the back to Eli and me. Then, Alyssa says the most endearing thing ever, "Even sometimes when you give us spankins, it looks like you spank us, but they're just 'love pats.'" (Shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell Payton!)

When I'm not thinking logical enough to discipline, I am happy to know I have used love pats as a loving alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment