Friday, February 17, 2012

Fundraising --- A Mom's Duty?

PTO --- If I remember the meeting, I go.

But, it's always about the next thing we can do to fundraise.

I'm not saying I'm against fundraising, it just seems there are other ways we can do good for our children without fundraising for more "stuff" all the time.

Last year, we started out supporting everything the kids brought home. Then we decided we needed to be more selective; that we didn't have to contribute every time. We haven't contributed again.

That is, until this year, and that's because my son gathered up all his change and put it in a ziplock bag for "Make-a-Wish." I figured we could help out too so my husband dumped a bunch of our change into his bag.

My kids play soccer and piano. We pay the minimum and don't contribute. When my daughter performed in the Nutcracker, we didn't contribute anything more then the long hours we had committed too. Both kids are in ice skating, which is all non-profit. Last year, I spent hours on the program, tickets and posters for their ice show. I didn't participate in any of the fundraising --- selling any ads, tickets or coupons --- I figured I had done my part.

But this year, although I am doing the program for the ice show again, I thought I can sell a few ads. The ads start at only $10 and on up to $100. Knowing how expensive it is to advertise in the newspaper for a day, it seemed to me to be an inexpensive way for businesses to advertise around town. So, off I went to sell a few. I had a chiropractic appointment, so I sold there first. I sold one other ad, but mostly, I got a bunch of times of when I could return to talk to store owners. Everyone was nice about it, but after 3 hours I was done for the day.

The next morning, I dropped off my kids at school, then built a bunch of ads and added the skater's information into the program. After lunch I headed out again. I sold a few more ads and made an unexpected trade for doughnuts that the board members are very excited about. Just after another sell, I returned to Broadway Burger at the time they had requested me to from yesterday. A different of the 3 owners was there so I explained what we were doing again and that I had been asked to return today. She flipped out! "Haven't we contributed enough to the community!" Ummmmmm, I don't know, I guess so? I thought. Anyway, she went on an on, I think she was explaining "why," but I, with a smile, wasn't really listening. I just wanted to leave; and when she was done talking at me, I did. I got in my car and all of a sudden I felt the sting and my eyes got all teary, after all, they had asked me to come back today. I tried to shake it off, but decided that with tears so close to the surface, I was done for now. It was almost time to pick up my kids anyway. I wonder how sells people can do this ALL day long!

I did decide to take my kids on my last two stops. At the first one, I made a trade for pizza coupons. The second store wanted to buy but needed me to wait for 15 minutes, and having the kids with me and a husband waiting for the pizza I now had out in my car, I decided to stop at home quick first.

I didn't go back. I had to start baking cupcakes (6 batches) with Alyssa. She's entering those in the Chocolate Festival tomorrow. Besides, I am exhausted from selling and I think I am getting sick.

And, WOW! for those parents who actually go out with there kids and sell those fundraisers more than one a year! This really takes effort and time. It's also something that may take a year for me to recoup from each time. (And, since, I'm on a roll with making trades, the board suggests that I go to visit Coke and Pepsi. I'll have to see if I can regain any of my selling momentum by Monday morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment