Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ice Show 2012

Painting her surfboard for her part in the ice show.
Alyssa, a Hawaiian surfer, and, Payton, a ninga fighter.
Payton and Alyssa are both in the city's figure skating club --- and they LOVE it! (even though Daddy does NOT! Well, for Alyssa, it's ok, but, "Payton should be in hockey and Alyssa should try it..." I don't whole heartily agree. As long as I am the one driving them around, I feel that I get to choose what works best for us, at least until the kids have their own opinions on it.)

This year's ice show was "Disney Around the World" and the kids skated to Disney songs. Alyssa's little group skated to "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" from the movie Lilo and Stitch. Payton was one of five ningas and his group skated to "I'll Make a Man out of You" from the movie Mulan.

Her latest pose for the camera.

I tried to do something a little extra special in Alyssa's hair. She LOVED it. Then, I got out my makeup, her favorite, and started on her eyes. She looked in the mirror and burst into tears. I assured her the other girls would have their eyes painted too. She wouldn't believe me. With a little coaxing, and hoping to help make things better again, I put a bit of lipstick and blush on her. Still, she did NOT want "CAT EYES!" But we had to leave and I didn't want to smear black all over her eyes trying to take it off. So, finally, we compromised; if the other girls' eyes were not painted up, we would go into the bathroom and take it off.

Lookin' ninga tough.

Once inside the ice arena, we found the "guys" locker room and sent Payton in to hang his jacket and change into his skates. I went to the "gals" locker room with Alyssa and we got her situated. Fortunately, the eye makeup issue had disappeared. Payton stayed in his locker room. I finally decided it was time to hunt him down. There he was, sitting in the locker room with the other ningas, watching one of them play his DS. I had him come out while another little ninga told me to "Stay out!" in his best ninga impersonation. Payton showed me that his lip was about to crack and bleed. I didn't have chapstick on me (bad mom moment). So, I called Eli. He hadn't left the house yet, so he got some chapstick. Whew! At least I got something right tonight (good mom moment!) Then he was off, pretend fighting with another ninga!


Warming up.

More warming up. Payton is still all about speed on the ice.

Hanging out with the ningas --- should be warming up!  : )


Here they are!






On the way to the show, I remembered I didn't get gifts for Payton and Alyssa. I figured we'd go out for ice cream afterwards.

But, it was freezing and the kids were grumpy. Payton continued to ask why he didn't get a present. I wanted a family photo like we got last year, however, with Alyssa's feisty attitude, we didn't even try.

We were hungry. The kids choose Chinese, but they were closed so we went next door to Applebees. The kids wanted to go across town to get Mexican. We didn't. The interstate was closed so it was a busy night at Applebees; yet, we were quickly seated. With all the congestion in my lungs (4 weeks now) and sitting in a cold arena for the past 4 hours, hot chocolate sounded really good. I ordered that with a bowl of soup. The hot chocolate was good. The soup was not. The hot chocolate comes with free refils! Nice surprise. The hair on top of the whipped cream was not a nice surprise.

Back home, with warm, full tummies, we tucked our grumpies into bed and slept.

The next morning Alyssa confessed, "You were right Mommy, the other girls had their eyes painted too." And "That was the BEST DAY EVER!" "If I have little girls, I'm going to paint 'cat eyes' on them." It turns out that she may even want to do a solo next year....

I may not have experienced a natural high like I did after last year's show, but, I think Alyssa was still on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment