Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Kindergarten Possitives

I feel bad leaving my last post sounding so negative about kindergarten. So, this post is to help me see all the positives of sending my kids to kindergarten.
  1. My kids get to ride the bus.
  2. Their teacher sings with her students and my kids LOVE it!
  3. Alyssa is at the top of her class with her writing skills.
  4. Payton is READING! YEAH! (I seriously thought I was going to have to make more of an effort to get him going.)
  5. They are so excited to share birthday treats with their classmates.
  6. They're making new friends.
  7. I hear Alyssa really enjoys math too and is always right there participating with her group.
  8. The school is very quick to contact me when my child throws up.
  9. They LOVE the treasure box.
  10. They LOVE library day.
  11. They seem to like the structure and routines provided there.
  12. Each student gets to have their own water bottle at their table. (I love that they are making it possible to keep these kids hydrated.)
  13. If a students needs to use the bathroom they hold a fist in the air and their teacher will nod to let them go. The student then sets a timer and runs off to use the bathroom. They have to beat the timer getting back to class. I've watched this in action and it works great!
  14. I love that the students take turns having different responsibilities in the class.
  15. I love that they give Payton gloves on the playground when his get left at home.
  16. The adults know my kids --- and me!
  17. The kids have lots of opportunities to succeed. (For example, Alyssa was recognized as a "Bucket Filler" meaning she filled someone with good feelings --- however, she can't remember what it was she did! They also work towards certain goals and have class parties when they reach them. My kids love these.)
I will add/refine to this list as other ideas come up, but I think this is a good start.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll try the timer thing on Heath although I don't want him to not wash his hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Does he like to play in the bathroom too?

    ReplyDelete