Saturday, March 12, 2011

Our Adoption Story - Part 8 - Shopping

I'm on vacation and won't be able to post tomorrow (Sunday) so I am combining two post for tonight. (I will continue my story on Monday.) Reading and remenising over these crazy couple weeks 6 years ago, just makes me happy tonight --- I just reread, edited again, and found myself smiling. I hope you will be too. : )


Part 1 - Infertility
Part 2 - Waiting
Part 3 - A New Goal
Part 4 - Comfort

Part 5 - Chosen
Part 6 - Charlotte
Part 7 - Expecting


February

One day, and months too early, Charlotte begins to have contractions. She is given some medication to stop those and to help develop the babies lungs more quickly. It works. But, the next time she goes into labor, they will deliver the babies. That could be any day. Finally, we pull the crib out from the very back of our storage unit and rearrange our room to fit it in..

I also go to to the Medicare office a few times to apply for the babies health insurance, but they keep telling me that the babies have to be born first. There doesn't seem to be anymore I can do to change that. As much as I don't want to leave it unresolved, I do.


March

I am restless. To help pass time, and against Eli's wishes, I go shopping --- I HAVE too! All these adorable tiny outfits are irresistible. But, I still don't know whether to buy for boys, girls or one of each. I look and look, but neutral isn't what I want to bring our babies home in. I decide again that I just need to wait.

I send in another unanswered request to know the babies' gender. I go over my little bag of essentials (formula, bottles, bibs, pacifiers, diapers, wipes...) for the hundredth time. I want to leave when we are called, not trying to pull together the perfect little items at the last minute. I begin sewing tiny little yellow cloth diapers. (My mom is a great seamstress --- NOT me, but I find myself associating sewing with being a good mother.) I choose and order a waterproof material for the outside of the diapers, so I will have to save the rest of the sewing until it arrives. But, I come home from work to see that my good mother-in-law has taken to finishing the diapers for me. With the seams already sewn shut, I don't know how to sew the new material on. I know she means well, but I take my frustrated, ungrateful self to my room. A couple days later the waterproof material comes in the mail.

I still need to buy something for the babies to wear home from the hospital. This shopping trip I am resolute to find and buy something! Shopping for my babies is suppose to be fun and I do wish Eli would share this time with me. But, he still doesn't want to buy anything, not until we bring the babies home. I can't wait that long, my babies will wear something new, adorable, and matching home from the hospital --- because, that's how me, as a mother-to-be, wants to record bringing my precious babies home. That's how I want to show them off in our photo album and in emails. Our budget makes this trip stressful, at one point I'm tempted to throw a tantrum right in the middle of the Wal-Mart baby department. Finally, deciding against neutral, and choosing a few extra outfits of each gender, actually makes the shopping experience pleasant. I spend too much money --- but, I tell myself, it's ok because I'll be bringing half of it back --- to exchange for diapers and formula. I feel a little better prepared.

A couple days later I learn we are expecting a boy and a girl!


Part 9 - Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment