Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Leprechaun's Treasure Hunt


I grew up with a love for treasure hunts. My older brother is the BEST treasure hunt maker! His are a real challenge. His treasure hunts don't have a lot of clues, but the ones he creates are HARD. I have tried to race my 2 sisters to the end before, but, I can't remember who won. All I remember is spending DAYS sometimes, trying to break codes without a key. It was hard and frustrating, so, when I did break them --- I was ecstatic!

My homemade treasure hunt isn't nearly so tricky (my hunters are only 6); but, it's not a piece of cake either. Hopefully, it will last a good hour or two. And, hopefully, it won't be too discouraging if they prefer something a little more fast paced. If your kids are up for a bit o'challenge --- mine might do the trick!

I've never gone out of my way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day other than to make sure I have some visible green on me somewhere. (Once, when I was little and not wearing green, my older brother had me so worried about getting pinched that when I went outside to ride my tricycle, I REALLY thought I was getting pinched!!!) I also happened to celebrate it twice with a friend and I remember her mom made green Jell-O and green punch. We probably had green beans too. We watched that leprechaun movie. A few years later I celebrated again with her and didn't even realize it was St. Patrick's Day until dinner rolled around and we were eating green Jell-O and drinking green punch again. We even watched that leprechaun movie again! I thought it was so neat that this was their tradition and I got to be part of it! How cool is that?

Eli's mom makes corned beef and cabbage. The recipes I have found haven't turned out all that wonderful, not that they were bad. It just seems like I've had better. Maybe it's because I always look for a crock-pot recipe. Perhaps you have something better you could share with me this year?

This year, I've created a treasure hunt for my kids, but I don't mind sharing it. A good friend inspired me to celebrate this boring green holiday before she moved away. So, this year I am going to cut out my own little green leprechaun feet. Instead of them leading to a treasure right off, it will lead them to the first clue in a tricky "Leprechaun Treasure Hunt" with fun activities and snacks along the way, and a Pot-O-Gold at the end of a homemade rainbow. I hope my two are up for a bit o'challenge. We'll begin it first thing in the morning and finish it after they get back home from school.

For those who are interested in giving my Leprechaun Treasure Hunt a try, here it is. (If you would like a .pdf of the hunt, leave your email address in the comments. I will be happy to sent it to you.)


*You will build a rainbow that looks like the one above with the clues, the colored circles lay on top of each other with the largest (red) on the bottom and the smallest (purple) on the top. The round decoder (small white circle) goes centered on the very top (I forgot to mention that part in Clue #8). Once those are stacked, make sure to turn each circle so that the shamrocks line up (on the right side). Finish with the "cloud" on the very top. Then, fold the whole thing in half along the shamrocks. Hold it up to a mirror to read the final clue, it will take you to the treasure "at the end of the rainbow" (Pair of Boots). Hope this helps!
Instructions & other info. --- Print on WHITE

Clue #1 (front) --- Print on WHITE
Clue #1 (back) --- Print on WHITE


Clue #2 (front) --- Print on RED

Clue #2 (back) --- Print on RED


Clue #3 (back) --- Print on ORANGE

Clue #3 (front) --- Print on ORANGE *WHOOPS! On 6 across I blacked in the last box. It's suppose to fit "clover."


Clue #4 (front) --- Print on YELLOW


Clue #4 (front) --- Print on YELLOW


Clue #5 (back) --- Print on GREEN


Clue #5 (front) --- Print on GREEN *WHOOPS! I didn't get "mold" into the word search. This clue is too hard for young kids, it's even tricky for adults. Sorry about that. (Next year's will be a little easier.)


Clue #6 (back) --- Print on BLUE


Clue #6 (front) --- Print on BLUE


Clue #7 (front) --- Print on PURPLE

Clue #7 (back) --- Print on PURPLE

Clue #8 (coin insert) --- Print on GOLD --- compass directions go with Clue #2

Clue #8 (pot envelope) --- Print on GREEN or WHITE


(leprechaun footprints) --- Print on GREEN (as many as you need)

EXTRA (compass directions) --- Print on GOLD or GREEN

9 comments:

  1. I love love love it!!!!! Perfect we are having a pot O Luck tomorrow this will be perfect! can you e-mail me the pdf? brantjanalyn@yahoo.com Thanks! I really am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already emailed it to you. Hope you guys enjoy it. What is "Pot O Luck"? Is it dinner? If so, I want the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Thanks for being willing to share this! I would love the PDF! ying98@comcast.net
    What age did you first use this? I have a 4 and 6 year old.
    Thanks again!!!!!
    Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have the PDFs for this. This is GREAT! LMexpressions@sbcglobal.net. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PLEASE send me this PDF??!! What a great idea! Thanks so much!
    laceyDOTrignellATgmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled you all like my treasure hunt. I hope your hunters enjoy it. All of you above have been emailed the .pdf. Please, let me know if you did not get yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. please send me the PDF.
    algsacca@msn.com
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please send me the PDF. This is awesome. Great job!
    shy_mexicana@hotmail.com
    Thanks a bunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi-
    I would love the PDF of this! Such a fun ideas. Suzannesclass@hotmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete