Thursday, March 10, 2011

Our Adoption Story - Part 6 - Charlotte

Part 1 - Infertility
Part 2 - Waiting
Part 3 - A New Goal
Part 4 - Comfort

Part 5 - Chosen


November 2004

One afternoon, home alone and wandering aimlessly with an intense yearning to mother, my cell rings. It feels dreamlike in that I already seem to know what it's about. On the other line, Mary asks if we would be interested in adopting twins. YES! I want to scream this because Eli and I had already discussed this very topic --- years ago! I don't have to check with Eli, I don't have to say, "I'll have to get back with you." I am flying high. But she brings me back down to earth, adding, "We just want to update your application because Mike said you had expressed interest in sibling adoptions in the past." Oh. True. Ok. Good-bye. In the back of my mind I just know something has to be up. I'm ever hopeful. I constantly remind myself that they'll let us know if this something needs our involvement. I decide not to tell Eli --- yet. No need getting his hopes up too if nothing comes of it. Besides, was this too soon? It wasn't very long ago when my little girl had been born and gone home with someone else.

December 15, 2004

Only few weeks later, a birth mother expecting twins requests to meet us! She has a letter for us at the LDS Family Services office and would we come get it? When we arrive, Mary hands us a fax with a short handwritten letter. It tells of her gifts for us. It's almost Christmastime, so I think that that is an appropriate way of putting it. I'm filled with excitement, and caution. I wish the happiness would burst from me because I can't get it out! We won't meet her until January 6 --- but, I want to jump back in the car and meet her NOW! The letter is signed, Charlotte. I turn to Eli and say, "I like her name." He nods.


Part 7 - Expecting

No comments:

Post a Comment